PREPARING FOR YOUR SESSION
1. Once you've contacted me about photographing your family & newborn, we can set up a tentative date based around your due date. Because babies typically come on their own time, however, once you have delivered you can then contact me to set up the actual session. Babies are best photographed within the first 5-10 days of birth as they are still very sleepy, can be easily moved, baby acne hasn't appeared yet and any signs of jaundice have faded as well. However this type of session can be done the first month since birth. So be sure to contact me as soon as possible to book your session.
2. When we have scheduled your session we can then talk about what you expect out of it. This session is very photojournalist, capturing the real familial shots with the baby. If baby happens to fall into a deep sleep and time allows we can do some posed shots. Any props that have meaning to you will make the photos that much more special.
3. My newborn sessions typically take one hour so let's make the best of that time. I schedule newborn sessions in the morning, around nine or ten. Babies also tend to be sleepier at this time of day. I will capture getting baby fed or diaper changed/cleaning up messes and soothing baby.
4. I shoot newborn sessions at the clients' home. Be sure to have all the rooms in your home that have the most natural lighting ready for session. This means they are tidy, no clutter and all blinds are wide open.
5. I photograph babies without any clothes on, sometimes with a diaper, but otherwise completely naked. Clothes take away from showing how tiny and different newborns are within their first few days of life and also makes it more difficult to capture tiny details such as hands and feet and the umbilical cord stub. For this reason please have your baby wearing only a diaper when I arrive. Also keep your home nice and cozy since baby will not be dressed.
6. Mom, Dad and any siblings will be in the shots. I suggest wearing simple, light and comfortable clothing for shots. Make sure all finger nails are clean and either freshly polished or no polish at all for mom.
DURING YOUR SESSION
1. When I arrive at your home I will ask you to direct me to the rooms with the most natural light. Please have all blinds drawn and lights off when I arrive.
2. Newborns love to be warm, and since they will be naked for the majority of their session turn on the heater shortly before so that the house can get warm. A temperature of 80-85 degrees is perfect.
3. I bring with me a beanbag for posed shots of baby, a backdrop blankets, and posing bowl for baby to be photographed in. ALL IF TIME ALLOWS.
AFTER YOUR SESSION
1. I will post a sneak peek on my Facebook page within 24-48hrs. You will be emailed a proofing gallery of your photos within 1 week of your session.
2. You will receive 10 fully edited digital photos with your session. You have the option to purchase additional photos at a discounted rate or the full gallery at 30% off.
3. I will provide you with a printing release so that you may get your photos printed at the lab of your choice. You will need this with you when getting images printed.
A CHECKLIST FOR PARENTS
Have any hats, bows, headbands, blankets, props, family heirlooms or other items you may want in the shots ready.
Make sure the room or rooms are warm. Your baby will usually have their clothes off for most of the session so it needs to be extra warm.
Have room or rooms where the baby will be photographed tidy and clutter free please.
You should wear lightweight breathable clothing since it will be very warm where we are shooting.
Your hands may be shown in some photos. Please have nails trimmed and clean.
Turn off phones or any other distractions during the photo shoot.
Before feeding baby, remove all clothes and socks. Unfasten diaper so it can be easily removed and wrap baby in blanket. This will help eliminate any creases or red marks on the baby’s body.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What should we have with us for our newborn session?
Nothing because everything is done in the comfort of your own home. Be sure to have wipes, diapers close by.
Can we do portraits of the new baby and it’s older sibling?
Absolutely, I LOVE sibling shots…but I can’t guarantee it for very young siblings. We will try our hardest and I have lots of tricks and different ways to make it happen but I’m sure you know how unpredictable two year olds are…if they want nothing to do with the new baby, sometimes it just isn’t possible without
massive amounts of tears…from the sibling, and rarely the parent;) Something I really suggest is to keep there schedule as normal as possible.
What type of payment do you accept?
Cash or credit card, whichever is more convenient for you.
How long after the session will it be before our images will be ready?
Your images will be ready within 2-6 weeks after making your selection from proofing gallery.